RESIDENT USE OF PRESCRIPTIVE AUTHORITY
Members of the residency and subspecialty residency programs are considered to be trainees, and as such should not evaluate or treat conditions or illnesses in themselves or other housestaff at Bridgeport Hospital or elsewhere, except where the staff presents as a Hospital patient.
Housestaff and other legally authorized prescribers shall not prescribe any medication (including controlled and non-controlled substances, pharmaceutical or medical device or equipment) for:
- Him or herself, spouse, significant other, relatives, or other family members;
- For other housestaff or their families;
- For other hospital staff, including nursing and attending staff, and their family members.
- To be legally authorized to treat or prescribe:
- A physician patient relationship must exist
- A record of the history, physical and treatment and/or drug prescribed must exist and be maintained as a medical record.
- Failure to comply with this policy may result in discipline up to and including termination from the residency program.