POLICY FOR RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION OF RESIDENTS
Purpose: To Ensure a Uniform Standard for the Selection of Residents.
- Residency training programs at Bridgeport Hospital, where applicable, will participate in the National Residency Matching Program and the Hospital shall adhere to all rules and regulations. All applicants must meet the eligibility requirements stipulated in the ACGME Institutional Requirements.
- All candidates shall complete an interview process. This should consist of interviews with faculty members and residents. It is desirable for all candidates to be given a tour of the Hospital, lunch, and an opportunity to sit in on a conference, Grand Rounds, or a seminar.
- The candidate should be informed in writing of the terms and conditions of employment and benefits as described in the ACGME Institutional Requirements. It is desirable to give the applicant information on the pass rate on respective Board examinations, as well as information on the career paths of program graduates.
- Everyone who interviews the candidate, including the residents, should be given an opportunity to rate the acceptability of the candidate. All evaluations should be considered in the final ranking of the candidate. It is desirable that a printed form to facilitate candidate rankings to be used in all programs.
- Candidates to the programs must be selected among eligible applicants on the basis of the preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity.
- Bridgeport Hospital is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and there shall be no discrimination against candidates on the basis of sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability or any other applicable legally protected status.
- The Director of Medical Education will, by prior request, interview any candidate and give his/her evaluation of the suitability of the candidate for a program.
- Resident Transfers: Before accepting a resident who is transferring from another program, the program director must obtain written or electronic verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation of the transferring resident.
Any stipulation noted in the Common Program Requirements will be adhered to.
12/2011, 10/2012, 4/2015